Marin CAMFT Saturday Workshop
1 December 2018, 1-4 pm
Men, Sex and Porn: Two Perspectives
Presenters: Gary Gross and Tim Stein
Moderators: Renee Owen and Susan Pease Gadoua
Do you have clients who are engaged in porn, affairs or sexual behaviors that are negatively impacting their relationships? Do you know the best treatment options for these clients? Are you confused by whether “sex addiction” is the appropriate diagnosis? Join two Bay Area experts as they discuss two distinct perspectives on this important topic.
This workshop focuses on two contrasting perspectives in the treatment of Men’s Sexuality with presentations by local experts in the field. Issues of porn, affairs, masturbation, and performance will be addressed, among others. Each presenter will speak for 1 hour. The 3rd hour is dedicated to Q & A as
well as a discussion of complex cases.
Gary Gross presents a more liberal, relational approach to treating men’s sexuality, which supports the view that the sexual addiction diagnosis often does men a disservice.
Tim Stein, Certified Sex Addiction Therapist & Supervisor, discusses the merits of treating unhealthy sexual behaviors using the addiction model.
Educational goals and objectives include:
- Learning the historical perspective between these 2 contrasting views of sexuality (GG);
- Learning what is sex addiction vs. a healthy libido (TS);
- Learn more about how & why the sex addiction model may be harmful for men & couples (GG);
- Learn the impact of trauma on sex addiction (TS);
- Understand the concepts of sampling & confirmation bias in sexuality research (GG);
- Understand the impact of sex addiction on the betrayed partner (TS):
- Learn effective treatment options in working with men’s sexual issues (TS & GG)
Tim Stein, LMFT (Presenter), is a Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (Supervisor) as well as a Certified Clinical Partner Specialist. He has been working as a therapist in the specialty of sex addiction since 2008. Tim has provided presentations on a variety of topics related to sex addiction to the local community, local professionals, and national conferences, and has been interviewed as a sex addiction or betrayed partner expert for focused podcasts.
Gary Gross, LMFT (Presenter), Since the late 1970’s, Gary has worked with men & boys, helping to organize the first Calif. Men’s Gathering & teaching Men and Masculinity at SF’s City College. With
M.A.’s in Sociology & Clinical Psychology, he has been in private practice since 1987, worked at Big Brothers & Sisters, and at Family Service Agency. At FSA, he developed the first (and only) treatment program in Marin for male juvenile sex offenders and ran groups for abused boys. He specializes in working with boys, men and couples and provides consultation to groups & professionals on best
practices with this population.
Renée Owen, LMFT (Moderator), has facilitated gender healing workshops and leads 6 groups in her private psychotherapy practice in San Rafael. For the past 20+ years, Renée has worked with both
singles and couples, specializing in relational issues, teaching communication and intimacy skills, and issues of sexuality. She provides consultation and practice building advice to groups and professionals.
Susan Pease Gadoua, LCSW (Moderator), is a licensed therapist with an expertise in marriage and divorce. She is the author of the San Francisco Chronicle best-seller, Contemplating Divorce, and the
co-author of The New I Do. Susan is a sought-out speaker on marriage and divorce and she has appeared on television, radio and in print publications. She works with individuals and couples and runs workshops and retreats in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The workshop will be held at the Corte Madera Town Center, 770 Tamalpais Drive, Room 201
|Before November 26
|After November 26
- Marin CAMFT encourages those who attend its events to respect the fact that some individuals may have allergies to fragrances and pet dander. We ask that you refrain from introducing these elements into our meeting room. Registered service animals are welcome, of course.
- Information: For more information about Marin CAMFT's Workshops and about joining the Committee, please contact the Director-at-Large for CE.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train licensees to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice. Course completion certificates will be awarded at the conclusion of the training and upon participant’s submission of his or her completed evaluation.
- Refund Policy: Requests for refunds must be in writing and received by the Director-at-Large for CE no later than ten days before the program. There will be a $25.00 administrative fee to cancel registration for any program. The refund will be sent within ten days of the request.
- Accommodation for Special Needs: The special needs of persons with disabilities will be accommodated. The Program Committee will endeavor to assure that continuing education program materials, content and venue selections will meet the special needs of the disabled and that reasonable accommodation will be made. A request for accommodation can be made to the Director-at-Large for CE who will work with the Committee and event venue to meet the need. All instructors will read and adhere to Marin CAMFT’s stated policies.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director-at-Large for CE.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender, race, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
- CE Approvals: This workshop meets the qualifications for 3 CE credits for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences for license renewal. These will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CEP # 56895), which is approved by CAMFT to sponsor CE for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents Contact Director-at-Large for CE for more information.