The high-profile slayings of Black Americans: George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and more, have led to numerous marches, protests, and vigils throughout the nation. The Black Lives Matter movement has shed light on the injustices facing Black communities and has provided a statement of affirmation that Black lives do indeed matter. Dr. Luke Wood, Ph.D. will draw parallels between the ways that Black boys and men are devalued and over-criminalized in society and the ways that they are educated. Tangible solutions for promoting the learning, development, and success of Black males are offered.
Dr. Wood was a keynote speaker at State CAMFT’s 2020 Conference. Marin CAMFT wants to bring this information to our members now when therapists are empowered to help their clients talk openly about the profound mental health consequences that racial traumas may have on people within historically oppressed populations.
J. Luke Wood, Ph.D. is Dean’s Distinguished Professor of Education and Vice President for Student Affairs & Campus Diversity at San Diego State University. Formerly Wood served as Associate Vice President for Diversity and Innovation. Dr. Wood is also Co-Director of the Community College Equity Assessment Lab (CCEAL), a national research and practice center that partners with community colleges to support their capacity in advancing outcomes for men of color. He has delivered over 1,000 scholarly and conference presentations and more than 150 publications to his credit, including 15 books and 75 peer-reviewed journal articles.
Attendance at the live event
qualifies for 2 hours of Continuing Education (2 CEUs).
PLEASE NOTE: This event will be video recorded. By registering for this event you are consenting to a recording being made which may include your name and a video of you in attendance. In addition, an audio recording of this event will be posted on the Marin CAMFT website's events library, and available to members for review and downloading. By registering for this event, you are consenting to be recorded and are aware that the recording may be accessed by Marin CAMFT members. If you ask questions or make comments during this event, be aware that your question, name, and/or voice may be contained in this recording.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for two hours of continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and LPCCs. These will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by CAMFT to sponsor CE for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full session and complete the evaluation at the end to receive CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact Pat Saunders, CE Director, for more information.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice. Course completion certificates will be awarded at the conclusion of the training and upon participant’s submission of his or her completed evaluation.
- Refund Policy: Refunds are available up to 7 days in advance of the event, subject to a $20 administrative fee. Please email the CE Director with any questions.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the CE Director.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
Audio recordings of the event and any handouts will be made available to all registrants after the presentation and receipt of the course evaluation.
CEUs are available for live attendance only. You must complete the evaluation at the end in order to receive a completion certificate.