Learn how to handle client records requests with State CAMFT Staff Attorney Bradley Muldrow!
3 Law & Ethics CEs available
This Zoom training is offered by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (California state CAMFT), with registration available through our Marin CAMFT chapter.
There are multiple ways to participate in this training!
1.) EITHER attend one or both of the trainings "live" on Zoom:
2.) OR register for a 6-CE on-demand training that will be available by watching the recordings of these two events anytime between April 12 and May 2, 2022.
“Are my notes sufficient?”
“Do I have to provide the entire record??”
“Could my license be at risk???”
Anxiety-inducing questions like these often flood therapists’ minds the moment they receive records requests from patients, attorneys, insurance companies, or other third parties. However, understanding how to create quality patient records and effectively respond to records requests can allow practitioners to handle such requests with confidence and ease. Join CAMFT staff attorney Brad Muldrow for a helpful overview of the legal and ethical requirements for recordkeeping and responding to records requests.
Participants will become familiar with notetaking approaches that: 1) are consistent with their legal and ethical obligations; and 2) demonstrate their competence and the effectiveness of their services in case the notes are ever reviewed by attorneys or other third parties during litigation, BBS disciplinary hearings, or other legal processes. Participants will understand state and federal requirements for responding to records requests from patients, attorneys, insurance companies, and other third parties.
Upon completion of this presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Recognize the BBS’ recordkeeping standard and identify two additional recordkeeping systems that are utilized by certain third-party payers and employers
- Know how long the law requires them to keep patient records post-termination and why CAMFT recommends that practitioners keep their records for three years beyond that period
- Recognize important legal distinctions between responding to records requests under HIPAA and California law
Presenter Bradley Jordan Muldrow, Esq.
As a CAMFT staff attorney, Bradley J. Muldrow, Esq. takes member phone calls regarding law and ethics issues and contributes articles on those subjects to CAMFT's publication, The Therapist. Prior to joining CAMFT’s legal team, Brad worked on litigation and regulatory matters as an attorney for San Diego Gas & Electric Company.
Since becoming an attorney, Brad has given law and ethics presentations to attorneys and judges as a member of the J. Clifford Wallace Inn of Court. He has also served as a board member for the Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation, a San Diego-based nonprofit.
Attendance at the live Zoom event and completion of the course evaluation qualifies for 3 Continuing Education hours in Law & Ethics.
An additional 3-CE training is being held that same afternoon, from 1:15 - 4:30, on Writing Letters and Offering Professional Opinions. Register for one or both!
Register for "No-Stress Records Requests" now!
PLEASE NOTE: This event will be recorded by State CAMFT. By registering for this event you are consenting to a recording being made which may include your voice and/or image. Registering for this "live" Zoom event gives you access to the real-time training; access to the recording is not available under this registration.
Upon signing up here at Marin CAMFT, you will receive an email from us with instructions for one additional step to register directly with Zoom, which is how you will get the actual link to join the Zoom meeting. Because of this extra step, please plan to come into this meeting 5 minutes early to go through this quick extra registration.
- Date: Monday, April 11
- Time: 9:00 am to 12:15 pm Pacific (3 hours of training plus 15 minutes for break)
- Location: Online via Zoom. Sign-on instructions provided when you register with Marin CAMFT.
For more information, please contact Marin CAMFT's Director of Programs Norman Hering.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for continuing education hours for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and LPCCs. The number of CEs awarded is specified in the event description. These CEs will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by state CAMFT to sponsor CE for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full session and complete the evaluation at the end to receive the CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact our Director of Programs for more information.
- Refund Policy: Refunds are available for cancellations up to 7 days in advance of the event, subject to a $20 administrative fee. Please contact the Director of Programs with any questions.
- Request for Accommodations: If you need accommodations for this event, please contact the Director of Programs.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director of Programs.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
CEs are only available for "live" attendance at the online training. After the training is over and attendance has been verified, Marin CAMFT will send out the course evaluation to those who qualify for CEs. We will need a few days for this process. You must complete that course evaluation to receive the CE certificate.