Registration for this event will open shortly. Please check back soon.
Marin CAMFT is offering two trainings in December on Internal Family Systems
2 CEs available
Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal chapter members!
Please register for Part 2: Clinical Application of the IFS Model here.
People instinctively refer to parts of themselves. “A part of me wants to see my friends, another part of me wants to rest at home.” Internal Family Systems (IFS) harnesses this instinct to distinguish parts. While studying Family Systems Therapy, Dr. Richard Schwartz observed clients using “parts” language and developed IFS as a way to apply the Family Systems perspective to individuals. Since a family can be seen as a single entity composed of individuals, an individual can be seen as a single entity composed of parts.
Conflicting parts cause anxiety leaving us feeling stuck. A despised part becomes intolerable. Gaining perspective on one part at a time, IFS helps remove blame from parts that are typically exiled by the rest of the system. IFS welcomes all parts, even when a welcoming attitude seems counter-intuitive. Respect for the part’s positive intention invites liberation from suffering and invites the part to fulfill its intended role. Eliminating suffering, but not the part of the person, provides a clear foundation for self-compassion.
An Introduction to the IFS Model is an overview of IFS and its potential benefits. Completion of this workshop does not constitute being trained in the IFS model. Formal training is available through the IFS Institute at https://ifs-institute.com.
- Learn the basic principles of the IFS model.
- Understand how basic IFS assumptions and tools can be used for implementation.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants should be able to:
Understand the origin of IFS as a distinct model.
Understand basic assumptions and elements of the IFS model: managers, firefighters, exiles, all distinct from Self.
Distinguish between blended and un-blended states, and understand the different approaches to each.
- Listen for and identify discreet parts of a client’s system to help clients increase awareness of their inherent capacity for self-compassion.
- Listen for and identify elements of a part, increasing trust through understanding.
Dorothy O'Leary, LMFT Internal Family Systems (IFS) has provided the framework for Dorothy O’Leary’s psychotherapy practice since she began studying IFS in 2017. She’s completed all three levels of IFS trainings and continues to cultivate her skills and style through additional trainings, consultations, practice groups, and using IFS in her private practice. In 2021 Dorothy assisted with the design and implementation of the first ever IFS therapist development in Pakistan, and has continued as a program assistant at the IFS Institute through 2022. Originally trained in Somatic Psychotherapy, Dorothy has maintained a San Rafael based private practice since 2012.
The Zoom link and password are provided in the registration confirmation email after sign-up is completed.
Attendance at the live event in full and completion of the evaluation at the end qualifies for 2 hours of Continuing Education (2 CEUs).
Date: Friday, December 9
Time: 12 noon to 2 pm Pacific
Cost: Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal members, $20 for non-members.
Location: Online via Zoom. Password and link sent upon registration.
Additional Information about Marin CAMFT CE Programs
For more information about the Friday Continuing Education Series or about joining the Marin CAMFT Continuing Education Committee, please contact our Director of Programs Norman Hering.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for 2 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. These CEs will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full duration of the program (on Zoom, or in person, per event details above) and complete the course evaluation to receive the CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact our Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice.
- Refund Policy: Our refund policy requires a $20 processing fee, therefore refunds are not available for this program, as the maximum purchase price is $20. We also do not provide refunds in case of non-attendance by the registrant. Please contact our Director of Program at email@example.com with any questions.
- Request for Accommodations: If you need accommodations for this event, please contact the Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director of Programs.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
Continuing education credits are available for attendance in the Zoom presentation. You must stay on the Zoom meeting for the entirety of the training and complete the course evaluation afterward in order to receive a completion certificate.