This event has passed, but the audio recording is available for Marin CAMFT members in our Podcast Audio Library!
Not yet a member? Find out more here!
This is Part 2 of the Marin CAMFT December training on Internal Family Systems
2 CEs available
Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal chapter members!
Please note: You need to have attended one of the previous Part 1 Intro to IFS trainings offered by Marin CAMFT (either the one on December 9th, or the previous one held in May 2021) in order to attend this Part 2 session.
Even if you’re excited to apply the principles of IFS in session, you’re likely to find clients who are confused or uncomfortable when you start talking about their parts. There are creative ways of using IFS effectively. It can come down to how we, as therapists, experience our own parts and conduct sessions from a perspective of Self-leadership.
Having gained a basic structural understanding of the IFS model in Part 1 of this workshop series, you’ll be ready to understand how a therapist’s personal Self-to-part relationship impacts the session. Therapy may begin when a client connects with the therapist’s Self-leadership, rather than their own.
Clinical Application of the IFS Model is an overview of IFS and its potential benefits. Completion of this workshop does not constitute being trained in the IFS model. Formal training is available through the IFS Institute at https://ifs-institute.com.
In Part 2 of this Introduction to IFS students will be invited to consider how application of the model varies for different clients. Through didactic and experiential learning, we will explore how the therapist’s self-leadership is a critical element to guiding a successful outcome.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants should be able to:
Learn to assess the type of approach needed for different types of clients.
Understand the different styles of applying the IFS model: insight, explicit direct access, implicit direct access.
Examine how their own parts, as therapist, can influence the overall outcome of therapy.
- Integrate therapist Self-leadership skills from which to guide a session.
Dorothy O'Leary, LMFT Internal Family Systems (IFS) has provided the framework for Dorothy O’Leary’s psychotherapy practice since she began studying IFS in 2017. She’s completed all three levels of IFS trainings and continues to cultivate her skills and style through additional trainings, consultations, practice groups, and using IFS in her private practice. In 2021 Dorothy assisted with the design and implementation of the first ever IFS therapist development in Pakistan, and has continued as a program assistant at the IFS Institute through 2022. Originally trained in Somatic Psychotherapy, Dorothy has maintained a San Rafael based private practice since 2012.
The Zoom link and password are provided in the registration confirmation email after sign-up is completed.
Attendance at the live event in full and completion of the evaluation at the end qualifies for 2 hours of Continuing Education (2 CEUs).
Date: Friday, December 16
Time: 12 noon to 2 pm Pacific
Cost: Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal members, $20 for non-members.
Location: Online via Zoom. Password and link sent upon registration.
Additional Information about Marin CAMFT CE Programs
For more information about the Friday Continuing Education Series or about joining the Marin CAMFT Continuing Education Committee, please contact our Director of Programs Norman Hering.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for 2 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. These CEs will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full duration of the program (on Zoom, or in person, per event details above) and complete the course evaluation to receive the CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact our Director of Programs at email@example.com for more information.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice.
- Refund Policy: Our refund policy requires a $20 processing fee, therefore refunds are not available for this program, as the maximum purchase price is $20. We also do not provide refunds in case of non-attendance by the registrant. Please contact our Director of Program at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Request for Accommodations: If you need accommodations for this event, please contact the Director of Programs at email@example.com.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director of Programs.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
Continuing education credits are available for attendance in the Zoom presentation. You must stay on the Zoom meeting for the entirety of the training and complete the course evaluation afterward in order to receive a completion certificate.